(Part 1 – The purpose of family)
Family is the building block of society. The state of any nation or society is simply a reflection of the state of the families in it. Family is very important because God instituted family Himself. God did not create us to live by ourselves alone. His original plan is that we are born into and live in good families. Even Jesus was born into a family. It is therefore important that we learn how to live and be effective as families
The bible says in Luke 2:51-52; “Then He went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was subject to them, but His mother kept all these things in her heart. And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and men.”
We have stated above that family is important to God. But what is the purpose of families? Why did God create family in the first place? Below are some of the reasons why God created family:
- God created families so that we can encounter His love early in our lives. (John 3:16, 1 Samuel 1:23).
- God created families so that we can have the right environment for spiritual, emotional and physical development. (Luke 2:52, Proverbs 1:8).
- God created families so that we can learn the ways of God early in life. (Genesis 18:19, Deuteronomy 6:5-7).
- God created and placed us in families so that we can be prepared for the assignment He created us to fulfil on the earth. (Hebrews 10:7, Exodus 2:1-10).
- God created families so that the next generation can be spiritually mentored correctly, spreading the gospel to the ends of the earth. (Judges 2:10, Proverbs 22:6).
YOUR PURPOSE IN FAMILY
It is clear that God created family for a very important purpose and you have a big part to play in ensuring your family functions well. You may not have come from the best of families, but you can do your best to make it a better family.
Here are three things you can do to make your family better:
- Thank God that He created your family. Appreciate the family that you are in even if it is not the best.
- Pray for the members of your family daily. Especially for those who have not made a commitment to Jesus.
- Compliment the members of your family. Always seek to see the good in them and not the flaws in them.
In the part 1 of this article, we have looked at the purpose of family. In part 2, we shall explore further how we can make our families better by playing our part well.
I pray that your family will always be a place of joy, peace and happiness in Jesus name. Amen.